Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Open Your Mouth (When To/When Not To)

 It seems like for the last several years, people have felt the opportunity to open their mouths to run someone down. To make comments on how they look or dress. What kind of car they drive. Where they work. What sports team they cheer for, etc. etc.

What gets me is how people feel like they can just comment on how somebody does something that they don't like. Dress a way that they don't like. Cheer for a team that they don't like. Drive a vehicle or whatever it is. Seems like everyone has an opinion on how things should be done, according their tastes!

The Bible specifically warns against this. It says that we are supposed to lift each other up, not tear each other down.

Ephesians 4:29 Living Bible

29 Don’t use bad language. Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing.

Seems like more and more, people have the audacity to run people down. Speak their minds about someone's weight. Body type. They are very vocal about things that they deem are not up to their standards.

You're a plus sized person, you can't wear that outfit. You're to old to dress like that. Have a hair cut like that. On and on it goes. Just wrong in my opinion.

I would never use words to run someone down. I try to lift up as much as possible. Encourage one another. World is negative enough, without someone adding more negativity to it. We don't think that words have power, but they do. I still remember things said to me in middle school. Many, many years later!

Proverbs 16:24 New Living Translation

24 Kind words are like honey— sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.

I wish I could say that what I mentioned above was totally true, but it's not. I had an event happen last summer with someone that I love very dearly. Something happened and vile, hateful words spilled out from my lips. I could not believe that I was speaking such unkind evil words to this loved one. It forced them to make a choice that was not the best for them. I hated myself for that. 

Like I said, words have power!

Proverbs 18:21 The Message

21 Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.

That night I chose poison! I have apologized over and over again, but I don't think that I can apologize enough. After that happened, I changed my thought process on the way that I speak. I try to think before I speak. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. 

Colossians 4:6 New Living Translation

6 Let your conversation be gracious and attractive[a] so that you will have the right response for everyone.

I am a Christian, still under construction. I am not, nor will I ever be perfect this side of Heaven. God is still working on me.

So I encourage you. Let's be kind to each other. Let's lift each other up and encourage. This life is tough enough without people piling on with negative comments about others lives!

Know when to open your mouth. Know when to keep it shut!

God bless.

Rev. Kev.

No comments:

Post a Comment