Monday, August 3, 2026

Hot Fudge Sundae!

 My wife and I stopped for ice cream last night after dinner. I ordered a hot fudge sundae. Love them. We got our order from the window and went to sit in the Jeep and enjoy. Had the top off, enjoying the night sky, breeze, ice cream and each others company.

Anyway,

I put my spoon into the dish and I noticed, like every other place that I have gotten a hot fudge sundae from, the hot fudge was just on the surface. Not all the way through it. So after taking it all off the top, all you're left with is vanilla ice cream. Bleh!! I mentioned to my wife "why can't they mix the hot fudge all the way through the sundae?" "So you get some in each scoop?"

At McDonalds, when I am standing at the counter, I catch them sometimes and have them put some hot fudge in the bottom before filling the container with the ice cream and then put some more on top. They charge me for extra topping, but I don't care. I would rather have more, than not enough.

Anyway, once again.

So as I'm eating said sundae, trying to mix it all together, I had a thought. Isn't this just like us and Jesus. How many of us just have a topical relationship with Jesus. After we go though the top layer, there is nothing left. Our top layer may be going to church on Sunday. Listening to the pastor speak from the Bible, hear some good worship music and then go home back to our lives. We've experienced the topical Jesus, but didn't go any deeper.

It reminds me of the parable of the soils. (Luke 8:4-15)

It talks about the different kinds of soil that people plant seeds in. Some take root, and run deep and produce good fruit. Some do not. Some get washed away as soon as a good rain storm comes along. Some take root for only a  little while, but get withered away from lack of caring for it.

To have good roots, we need to be in God's word, daily. Prayer and fellowship with other believers. Serve one another.

Colossians 2:7 New Living Translation

7 Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.

 Shallow soil falters because of the next new thing that comes along that seems better. Which ever way the wind blows, people will follow.

Matthew 13:7 New Living Translation

7 Other seeds fell among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants.

Many things can come along and choke out the seeds that have been planted. Life happens. But if you are rooted in Him, life can happen differently!

I encourage you today. Let the seeds that God has planted in you, deepen. Grow down deep into Him. Then which ever way the wind blows or rains come, you are steadfast. You will not be shaken.

I will never look at a hot fudge sundae the same way again.

God bless.

Rev. Kev.

No comments:

Post a Comment