If you know me very well, you know that I love to talk. I can talk to almost anyone, about most things. Want to talk music? Especially heavy metal. Let's chat. Want to talk about sports? Especially baseball, again let's chat. Same goes for concerts, movies, tv. shows, etc.
I really, really love to talk about The Bible and God/Jesus! I have had to go back and take a second look at a house because I was to busy talking to the seller about Jesus! Bring Him up, and I lose all interest in everything else.
This past weekend, I was in my element with talking to people. Saturday, I volunteered with Convoy of Hope for an event they were hosting in Chicago. I was stationed as a greater at the prayer tent. My/our job was to welcome people into the tent for prayer if they wanted it. Talked with all kinds of people about all kinds of subjects during the day. People who knew Jesus and those who did not. It was really awesome!
Sunday, I volunteered to hand out bottles of water at our local car show, from our church. I talked with so many people and handed out so much water, it was great. Getting to hear peoples stories about past car shows, what church that they attend, life and so much more.
Isn't it Biblical to meet people where they are? Just as Jesus does? He meets people where they are. You don't have to go to church to meet Jesus! Many of the people I talked to, will probably never set foot in our church, or any church. So we took church to the streets and handed out water to parched, hot, thirsty people.
Colossians 3:12 Living Bible
12 Since you have been chosen by God who has given you this new kind of life, and because of his deep love and concern for you, you should practice tenderhearted mercy and kindness to others.
Because I love to talk to people, that is the reason that I never use the self checkout lane at stores. I love to talk to the cashier. Ask about their day, see how things are going for them. I have heard so many stories from people about their lives, how long they have been on the job, and actually had the opportunity to pray for some of them.
I would never get that chance if I used the self checkout.
Jesus tells to us to go out and make disciple of all nations. (Matthew 28:18-20). How can we do that if we never talk to anyone. Can't make disciples going through a self checkout lane. That would be like just placing the bottles of water on a table for people to grab, without ever interacting with them. We were out there, showing them the love of Jesus by providing something they needed.
Psalm 145:15-17 New Living Translation
15 The eyes of all look to you in hope; you give them their food as they need it.
16 When you open your hand, you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in everything he does; he is filled with kindness.
My friend Jimmy P. Brown II penned these lyrics to the song 'Passing' by his band Deliverance.
"We hide from families, the neighbors and pets And make friends with the computer We Twit and Facebook our lives on a screen."
Isn't that the truth. We avoid human contact, at all cost. We hide behind our computer or phone screens. We may have hundreds of friends on Facebook, but not any in real life. We forgot how to have a human interaction. Human connection is so important for our lives. I can't imagine not talking with or interacting with someone else.
So I encourage you to start going to the cashier and avoid the self checkouts. I know that they can be faster and get you out quicker, but I think that is part of societies problem We are in too much of a hurry. Need to slow down. Life goes by fast enough.
God bless.
Rev. Kev.
No comments:
Post a Comment