Saturday, May 30, 2020

I. CAN'T. BREATHE.

"I can't breathe." Three words spoken in desperation by a man whose neck was being crushed by a city of Minneapolis police officers knee. His knee was on this mans neck to 'subdue' him. He was already face down on the ground, handcuffed and not resisting. Yet this officer felt the need for a little more "force" if you will. This man, George Floyd was pleading for his life. He told the officer that he couldn't breathe. That his neck hurt. His chest hurt. What did this officer do in response? He kept his knee on his neck for over 8 minutes. Finally an ambulance arrived and took Mr. Floyd away, where he later passed away.

The video of this is horrific to watch. Made me sick to my stomach. I could not believe what I had just watched. Did that really happen? Did an officer of the law continue to use unnecessary force when the suspect was pleading with him, pleading with him that he couldn't breathe. The officer showed absolutely no mercy or compassion to Mr. Floyd. He felt it necessary to keep his knee on his neck.

To make matters worse. The police officer is white, and the suspect is black. People keep saying that this country is being divided by race, and this incident definitely did not help with that. This stirred the pot of police brutality, and racial profiling against African - Americans. I don't know if this cop was a racist or not. Not really sure what his intentions were when he had his knee on this mans neck.
I just know that it was wrong. I know the difference between wrong and right. This action, by this officer was definitely wrong! I can not condone what he has done.

James 2:9 New Living Translation (NLT)
But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.

The law is supposed to be equal for everyone, no matter what skin color, ethnic background, whatever. But we all know that its not. It really seems to be unfair against a certain people group, and that is not right. I am not a black man. So I have no idea what it's like to not know if you are going to make it home tonight. Do you think that George Floyd knew that he was going to die that day that he left his house. I highly doubt it.

Galatians 3:28-29 The Message (MSG)28-29 In Christ’s family there can be no division into Jew and non-Jew, slave and free, male and female. Among us you are all equal. That is, we are all in a common relationship with Jesus Christ.

We are all equal to Jesus. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic. No matter what ethnicity, we are all made in the image of God!

I am reminded of a children's song we used to sing in Sunday school.


"Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red, brown, yellow
Black and white
They are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children
Of the world"


Doesn't matter if you are 1 or 101, we are all still children of God. Not matter what color we are, He created us and loves us.

I have many family and friends who are in law enforcement. I stand with you all my brothers and sisters who go out and keep us safe from what ever comes against us. God bless you all.

Matthew 5:9 New Living Translation (NLT)
God blesses those who work for peace,
    for they will be called the children of God.


Rev. Keven.



No comments:

Post a Comment