Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Shaming (Fat, Body, Etc. Etc.)

 Lately as I've been scanning through celebrity news, I've come across a lot of stories of popular celebrities being shamed in some way or fashion. Not that I really follow these people or know what they do, it just amazes me that fans can shame an artist (or anyone) just because they did something that they didn't like. Or looked a way that they didn't like. 

Take the artist Lizzo. She is a singer who is very popular right now. She was fat shamed because of her popularity. A commentator was saying that she is only popular because of her weight. Not because she is a good singer and writes good songs. No that can't be the reason. It has to be because of her weight.

Another example is singer Billie Eilish. She is only 18 years old and already has been body shamed because she was photographed wearing a tank top and a pair of shorts. People where saying that it wasn't appropriate for her to wear that type of clothing with her body type. She already wears very baggy clothes to cover up so no one can body shame her as it is. If they can't see her body, they cannot comment on it.

My thought on this is, who cares. I mean who cares what someone writes or thinks about you and your body. It's real easy to hide behind a keyboard and shame someone for the way that they look or dress. I'm sure that these people who are tweeting out these mean statements are not the best looking or the most physically fit person either. It's real easy to judge someone else on their appearance.

Genesis 1:27 New Living Translation

27 So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

So when I hear people shaming other people because of their appearance, to me they are shaming God who created them. God doesn't make mistakes. These woman are both beautiful & talented. I'm sure that there are plenty more that I am not aware of, but these two always are the lead stories.

Luke 6:41-42 The Message

41-42 “It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? It’s this I-know-better-than-you mentality again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your own part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.

Another type of shaming I am reading a lot about is mom shaming. Mom shaming is when a mom does something different or unconventional than what another mother would/might do with their children. I was actually dad shamed before this even became a popular term. I let me daughter do things that a conventional parent might not let their kid do. I let her eat with a fork. I let her ride the escalator by herself. The looks I got. Some of the comments I heard. "You can't let her do that." "Why not?" "She needs to learn."

So again I say to the moms/parents being shamed for the way that they are raising their children. Who cares? Raise them the way that you want. They are your children! As long as they are not put into any danger, or causing a ruckus. Of course your idea of a ruckus and my idea of a ruckus might be two different things.

Proverbs 22:6 New Living Translation

6 Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.

So my challenge is this. Live your life. No regrets. Don't let people shame you into doing or becoming something that your not! You do you!

God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment