Wednesday, April 17, 2024

I AM (nothing)

 I have two t-shirts in my wardrobe that pronounce that I am somebody special. The printing on them states I am this, or I am that! Trust me I am not either one of them.

The only person in the whole world who can claim the I AM name is God!

He proclaimed this moniker to Moses when he asked God what His name was.

Exodus 3:14 The Message

14 God said to Moses, “I-AM-WHO-I-AM. Tell the People of Israel, ‘I-AM sent me to you.’”

I know that there is the letter "I" in the word Christian. I know that the letter "I" is in Christ's name. But, there is no "I" in the Christian life style. Becoming a Christ follower, it becomes about we, not me!

One of the shirts I received, I absolutely refused to wear it because of the "I AM" something spread across the front. It bothered me from the moment I saw it. Now if it had said "we" instead of "I", I would wear it proudly. Because it doesn't, it will never see the light of day. At least with me wearing it.

The other shirt I have worn for several years without any thought about what it said on the front. Got a lot of compliments and comments on it. The other day though, I had someone make a comment about it. They told me that I sure think highly of myself wearing that. That got me to thinking. Am I making an "I AM" statement with this shirt? That I am better than other people? If the shirt would have said "We Are" instead of "I AM", I wouldn't have put much thought into this. But this person made me think. Not sure if I'll ever wear it again. Who knows?

Philippians 2:4 The Message

2:4 Don’t push your way to the front; don’t sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.

There are a few I AM statements that I can make though.

I AM: A sinner in need of a Savior

I AM: A Christian

I AM: Not perfect.

I AM: Not ashamed of Jesus Christ

I AM: Not ashamed of The Gospel

I AM: A work in progress.

So I encourage you tonight. Take a look at what kind of life you are projecting for others to see. Is it a selfish or selfless life?

Jesus gave up His life for us, may we do the same for others. Maybe not physically dying, but dying to ourselves and live for others.

1 John 3:17 Amplified Bible

17 But whoever has the world’s goods (adequate resources), and sees his brother in need, but has no compassion for him, how does the love of God live in him?

God Bless.

Rev. Kev.


No comments:

Post a Comment