Friday, September 13, 2024

Metal, Christian!

 


I get asked all the time, "how can you claim to be a Christian and a pastor and still listen to Heavy Metal?" Why does metal music get such backlash amongst Christians? No other genre gets the kind of hate that metal does. Rap, hip hop, country. I have even heard some Christian songs sound like disco or top 40. All those seem to be okay, but not metal!

What's the difference if a metal band is singing about worldly things. Partying, fornicating, debauchery, etc. etc. Or singing about God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit? I mean it's still the same fast, aggressive, heavy music. Just different lyrics. When I became a Christian, I switched from secular metal, to Christian metal. Heavenly Metal if you will.

When I say I listen to Stryper, Disciple, Skillet, Seventh Day Slumber, to name a few, that's when the side eye starts. You can just see the other person thinking about that. "Heavy metal is the devils music." I have heard several big name pastors say the same thing. Chastise the band and their fans for listening to them. Your not a real Christian if you listen to heavy metal. Really!!

I would say the same for hip/hop or rap. Nobody says a word when I say I listen to Toby Mac, Lecrae, or any other Christian hip/hop, rap artist. 

Hip/hop and rap to me are even worse than metal. The artist really use profane language, treat woman as objects. Encourage violence, especially against the police. I know that metal has the same kind of lyrics in some of the songs. I'm not oblivious. 

Two of my sermons were inspired by heavy metal songs. 'Rise Up' - Disciple and 'I Will Fail You' - Demon Hunter. Both were well received. If I were to tell the congregation were the inspiration came from, there would probably have been an uproar.

So if I listen to Stryper, Hillsong, CAIN, Toby Mac, no matter what genre, I am still worshipping God! No matter what anyone thinks.

Psalm 105:2 The Message

Sing him songs, belt out hymns, translate his wonders into music!

God bless.

Rev. Kev.

No comments:

Post a Comment