Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cardinals Baseball and My Dad.

I am a St. Louis Cardinals fan, and I have my Dad to thank for that. He was born in Southern Missouri and after he and my Mom were divorced he moved back down there. So I have been a fan since pretty much from birth.

My Dad, my brother and I went to a few games in St. Louis as we were growing up. It was always fun watching the Cardinals in Busch Stadium with our Dad. Every little boys dream, to go to a big league game with their Dad. Mostly though, we would watch them on tv during the summer when we were down there. We knew all of the stats of all of the players. We had our favorite players and would watch to see how well they performed. My favorite from back then was Ted Simmons who was their catcher. I was the catcher for my little league team, so it all just kind of fit. I also liked Lou Brock, whom the Cardinals got via a trade from the hated Chicago Cubs, my brothers team.

So my Dad and I celebrated the Cardinals world series championship in 1982 over the Brewers. We celebrated every playoff apperance since, up until this past spring. In March, my Dad became very ill. On April 1st, he passed away. The night before he passed away, we watched the Cardinals on tv. It was their opening day of the 2011 season. It was just like old times. He was able to sit up in his hospital bed and watch right along with us. He couldn't talk to us, but with his hand gestures we could tell what he wanted. He interacted with us. He was happy when the Cardinals did well. We finished watching the game and told him our goodbyes. We told him that we would see him in the morning. We didn't know it would be the last time that we saw him alive. I thank GOD for that night. For God giving us another night to be like the old times with our Dad.

This fall the Cardinals made the playoffs on the last day of the season. It is kind of bitter sweet to me. I am excited that they made the playoffs, but I don't have my number one fan to share it with anymore. So I am praying that the Cardinals win the whole thing this year and I am going to dedicate it to my Dad. He is sitting in the ultimate Sky box seat right now. Looking down and rooting on his beloved Redbirds. Praise the Lord for the creation of baseball. For a Dad and Son to be able to bond over something like that, incredible! I miss it, but I sure loved the time that we had and shared in the ups and downs of their seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment