Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spending Time With God.

I went to a men's conference a couple of weeks ago. I attended two breakout sessions. One on marriage and the other one on how to be more spiritual. The instructor of that course said some very interesting things that I had never thought of before.

He stated that there were three things that you needed to do to be more spiritual. One is to read your Bible everyday. Ok, I have that one covered. Two. Pray everyday. I have that one covered as well. I pray continually throughout the day. Three. Spend some alone time with God. Hmmmmmm, I don't do so well with that one. The instructor said that you have to do this. It is essential to your spiritual life. He said that you have to get alone, all by yourself, just you and God. Talk to God and listen to God talk back to you.

When I go hiking by myself, I consider that my alone time with God. We have some pretty good conversations. He has revealed and showed some stuff to me. I love just walking along the path and enjoying His creation. The beautiful wildlife. The beautiful trees and landscape. I just listen, or at least I try to. I usually end up talking to God. He God, check out these beautiful leaves that are changing color. Oh yeah, I forgot, you created them. I usually thank Him for the sights and sounds that I am enjoying. Then I pray while I am walking and thinking.

I brought along a Bible this last time and I sat and prayed and read the Bible for about 30 minutes or so. I didn't directly hear from God, but He did reveal this passage to me.

Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord,and he will give you your heart’s desires. 5 Commit everything you do to the Lord.Trust him, and he will help you.

This was huge for me, because I am praying about a situation, and God knows my hearts desires about it. So I am going to let go and let God do His thing.  Praise Jesus for everything we have!

1 comment:

  1. love love love....i don't have trouble with the first two either, but the third, o! it is hard to find time to just be quiet and by myself in the day, but on those occassions that i do have the opportunity God never fails to reveal His presence in that very place.
    Thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete