Saturday, October 1, 2011

Movie Extra

They are filming an independent movie here in DeKalb county. It stars Dennis Quaid and Zac Efron. There is no title for the movie, yet.

About three weeks ago, they ran an ad in the Daily Chronicle for extra's being cast for the movie. They were having an open casting call. It was on a Sunday and it was raining. We had a family re-union to go to first. After we left the re-union, we drove by the theater were they were having the casting call. People were lined up around the building, a really long line. My wife just said to go home and we'll think about coming back later. The casting call went until 6:00pm. We decided to go back and see what was happening. We arrived at 5:45, there was no line and we were able to go right in. They took our info and took a picture of us. Off we went, not thinking to much more about it.

A week and a half later, I get a call from the casting agent asking me if I would be interested in being in a scene. I said sure, I would be interested. She told me that it would be a church scene, being shot in DeKalb at the Lutheran church. She told me to be there by 1:00pm. So I arrive and fill out my release, get all signed in and wait. We finally saw some action around 3:15 for some of the extra's to be used. Finally they come and get my table. I thought that we were being called into the sanctuary, but we went outside instead.

I was matched up with some people and were supposed to be a "family". I was standing on kind of a hill and the director asked me to step down onto the sidewalk because I was too tall. I am standing on the sidewalk and the director moves me again to a different location. So I move and take my new position. Once again I am too tall. So the director moves me again. He asks me to stand next to this guy and I am like ok. I am so focused on listening and paying attention that I don't even notice that the person who he has moved me next to is Dennis Quaid. I mean I am standing right up against him. Shoulder against shoulder. Standing about three feet away from us, is Zac Efron. WOW! So we are supposed to be having a conversation with Dennis and the woman who plays his wife in the movie. We wrap that scene and then we move into the church. Shoot some stuff inside and then they release us. I kind of hang around for a little bit, talking with some of the movie's production people. I am standing there and lo and behold Zac Efron comes walking down the stairs right in front of me. I ask one of the crew if he would mind taking a picture of us. He said that sure he would. So I ask Zac if he would take a picture with me. He said sure, so we had a picture taken together. All in all a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment