Thursday, January 27, 2011

Funny Story

My first day of working at the hospital as a volunteer. I was training with a lady I know who attends our church. We had a patient who had checked in to the out patient service! The call came over to the desk, that this person was to be taken to a room for a direct admit.

So my trainer and I were the two that answered that call, to take the patient to a room. We went to the out patient, got the paperwork and started heading down the hall, to the patients rooms. While we were walking, this patient asked us how much we were being paid. My trainer and I answered back, that we didn't get paid anything. He was like " I would like to get an application for your job, how much do you get paid"? Again we replied that we did not receive a wage, that we were volunteers.

He could not believe it. "No way" he said. "How much do you get paid"? Once again we both replied "nothing, we are volunteers". We even showed him the back of our id badges that stated volunteer. He then asked us "why do you do this"? We both replied in unison "we do it for the Lord"! "We are being the servants that He called us to be". He replied back "well that's cool". So we asked him, as we wheeled him into the room, "do you still want that application?" To our surprise (not really) he said no, that he was good!

This was my very first day. I am thinking to myself, "I am going to love working here." And I do! The comments from the people that we help, make our whole day! I am not doing it for myself, I am doing it for the glory of God. That His light may shine through me, to other people I come in contact with throughout the day. I love working in a public building, being able to share my faith, talk about God and pray with out fear of retribution! I praise God for that! God has me there for a reason, and that is to spread the Good News around. I have no problem doing that. After all, what are they going to do? Fire me!!
God Bless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment